Citizenship can be achieved by being a resident for a certain period and owning property, but it is a long and difficult process. So the fastest and best route is below. (*Note The Residency menu will show the requirements for temporary residency)
The current system requires that after 5 years of temporary residency a foreigner can apply for a permanent residency permission (Stalni Boravak). Permanent residency permission will then last for another 5 years and you will then receive all the rights of a Montenegrin citizen other than the right to vote. After this you will then receive your full passport and become a Montenegrin National citizen. (Državljanstvo)
Montenegro Citizenship Investment Program
Montenegro Economic Citizenship Program (MECP) also known as ‘Special investment scheme’ offers foreign and non-EU persons citizenship by admission through a designated investment.
The MECP scheme is capped to only 2000 applications and will run for a limited period of three years.
The processing time takes around 6 months.
o 100 000 EUR Donation in a Government Funds plus
o 250 000 EUR investment in approved real estate in an undeveloped area (in the north of the country), or 450 000 EUR Investment in approved real estate in a developed region (in the south of the country).
o + 7 500 EUR due diligence fee main applicant and for each other dependent 4 000 EUR
o + 10 000 EUR background check
o + 30 000 EUR Advisor and lawyer fee (notary fee is separate)
o + 40 000 EUR Government fee
There are also additional fees such as due diligence fees, notary fees, background check, advisor and lawyer fee. The amount of these fees depends on the size of the families who will submit an application.
- The Citizen by investment program is an exciting new program for a max of 2000 potential international investors interested in Montenegro and Montenegrin residence. It was officially announced by Montenegrin Government on Oct 1, 2018, and related to foreign investors. The decision came into force on Jan 1, 2019, and will apply until Dec 31, 2021.
- Montenegro economic citizenship program (also know as ekonomsko državljanstvo in Montenegrin), allows foreigners to be granted the citizenship of Montenegro at the discretion of the Ministry of Interior Affairs and Public Administration through a designated investment which implies the specific model of citizenship scheme which involves a Grant (EUR 100,000) plus Investment (EUR 250,000) model. More precisely, investors i.e. applicants would need to donate a grant to government and also invest in development projects- here the sky is limit. They can choose among hotels, resorts, IT parks, commercial real estate, basically everything that will launch increase and enhancement in the labour market and Montenegrin economy as a whole.
- The model comprises the following criteria:
- Investment in height of EUR 250,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in a rural i.e. undeveloped area of Montenegro, or
- Investment in height of EUR 450,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in the urban, developed area of Montenegro.
- Government fee: Additional Donation of EUR 100,000 in the form of Government fee is needed.
- Application fee: The applicant must deposit 15,000 euros for an application for themselves, 10,000 euros for up to 4 family members, and 50,000 euros for each next family member,
- Total investment requires a minimum investment of EUR 350,000.
- This is a win-win combination for both investors and the country of Montenegro which will gain a lot through this advanced and progressive program.